May. 21 to Jun. 18, 2022
Written by Lynn Nottage
About the Play/Event
Director: Brooke Aston
May. 21 — Jun. 18, 2022 Fridays & Saturdays at 8pm, Sundays at 2pm
Choose a Date
- Friday, May 20, 2022, 8pm – Half Price Preview
- Saturday, May 21, 2022, 8pm – Opening Night and Champagne Gala
- Friday, May 27, 2022, 8pm
- Saturday, May 28, 2022, 8pm
- Sunday, May 29, 2022, 2pm
- Friday, June 3, 2022, 8pm
- Saturday, June 4, 2022, 8pm
- Sunday, June 5, 2022, 2pm
- Friday, June 10, 2022, 8pm
- Saturday, June 11, 2022, 8pm
- Sunday, June 12, 2022, 2pm
- Friday, June 17, 2022, 8pm
- Saturday, June 18, 2022, 8pm – Closing Night
COVID Patron Safety Protocol
Please know that at our performances you, and everyone in your party (including children), will be asked to:
* Provide Proof of Vaccination or show a negative Covid test result from within the past 72 hours upon entry.
* Wear a mask within the facility.
* Voluntarily assume all risks related to potential exposure to COVID-19.
Any questions regarding the policy please call and speak to a staff member, 562-494-1014
…thoughtful, affecting…The play offers poignant commentary on an era when the cut and color of one's dress—and of course, skin—determined whom one could and could not marry, sleep with, even talk to in public.
From Pulitzer Prize winning playwright Lynn Nottage, writer of Crumbs from the Table of Joy and By the Way, Meet Vera Stark, comes this tale of love and desire at the turn of the 20th century. Esther, a talented black seamstress, saves her money as she works toward her future sewing intimate apparel for wealthy matrons and prostitutes alike. Even as she longs for a forbidden love, she accepts a future with a distant correspondent who woos her with possibilities. As Esther’s dreams seem to lie beyond her grasp, her deft fingers stitch together the hope of her dreams.
The Long Beach Playhouse is so excited to have the Opening Night Gala sponsored by